CALIFORNIA SCHOLARSHIP FEDERATION (CSF)
CSF Application Fall 2017 (Application link here)
Fall 2017 CSF Registration
August 21 – September 1, 2017
At lunch in the Counseling Center
Only Juniors, and Seniors can apply
Sophomores may apply in Spring 2018
Should you have any questions or need assistance in filling out the application, please contact the CSF Advisor, Mr. Jared Phelps at (619) 397-2006 or at email@example.com
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When can I apply for CSF?
Juniors and seniors may apply for CSF twice a year, at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters.
Sophomores may apply for CSF starting in the Spring semester.
Freshman are not yet eligible to apply for CSF.
How do I qualify for CSF?
To qualify for CSF membership each semester, follow these guidelines:
- You must earn a minimum of 10 points from last semester’s grades.
- The first 4 points must be from LIST I (unless you are a senior applying for membership in February or June).
- The first 7 points (including the four points described in a.) must be from LISTS I and/or II.
- The remaining points may come from any LIST (I, II or III).
- You must use no more than 5 courses to qualify.
- No CSF points are given for physical education, courses taken in lieu of physical education, subjects repeated to improve a grade, courses involving clerking and office/teaching assisting, and courses taken on a pass/fail basis.
- CSF points are granted as follows:
- a grade of A = 3 CSF points. (Note: a grade of A in an AP, IB, or Honors course earns 4 CSF points.)
- a grade of B = 1 CSF point. (Note: a grade of B in an AP, IB, or Honors course earns 2 CSF points.)
(maximum of 2 extra points allowed)
- a grade of C = 0 CSF points.
- a grade of D or F in any course, even in one you cannot use to qualify, disqualifies you from membership at this time. This includes Scholarship and/or Citizenship grades.
NOTE: More points are given for courses taken under auspices of a college. Check with your adviser for the exact numbers.
- Semester membership is based on work done in the previous semester. (Under very limited circumstances, summer school may also be used; you should check with your adviser before listing any summer school work.)
- You must reapply each
- Courses you may use are divided into LISTS I, II, and III.
How do I become a CSF Life Member?
Students who have four semesters of membership (including one semester in senior year) will become CSF Life Members. Life Members will wear a CSF gold stole and a sealbearer pin, receive a certificate, and sit in the 2nd and 3rd rows at graduation.
California Scholarship Federation
The idea for a state-wide organization to honor outstanding high school students was first proposed by Charles Seymour, vice-principal of National City High (later Sweetwater High) in 1916. Over 80 years later the 1000+ CSF chapters continue to foster high standards of scholarship, service, and citizenship among high school students.
Qualification for membership is based on semester grades earned during grades 10, 11, and 12. Students who earn mainly “A” and “B” grades in scholarship and who have no “D” or “F” grades in either scholarship or citizenship might qualify. To determine eligibility, students may pick up an application in the Counseling Center.
Life Membership in CSF is earned by having four or more semesters of membership, including at least one semester in the senior year. Life membership entitles a student to receive a CSF Life Certificate, a pin, and a stole to wear at graduation. CSF Life Members sit in the 2nd and 3rd rows at the graduation ceremony and receive special recognition.
Applications for membership are available during a two-week period each semester at the Counseling Center and must be submitted with a copy of the previous semester grades or a transcript along with a suggested $5 donation to cover CSF regalia expenses ( $30 total by senior year which includes CSF stole, pin, certificate). The application period based on June grades begins in late-August or early September of each year, and in early February applications are accepted for the December semester grades. Late applications are not accepted; students must apply during the two-week registration period each semester.